Saturday, August 25, 2007

My Problem Room



I've never been a fan of laundry, so my laundry room was never a top priority. Just paint it white. A nice glossy white so that it looks clean. Add some vegetables for that extra touch...done. What an ugly room. It had been untouched for nearly 15 years. It still had some of the kid's artwork on the walls.


I figured this would be a nice little "something fun to do" activity while Mike was on his fishing trip. I usually surprise him by working on a home renovation task while he's gone. Well Mr. Mike, consider this my final solo project. Last year I constructed a raised flowerbed, along with a pathway with steps and a small patio. I thought hauling yards of sand and topsoil was difficult, not to mention loading and unloading truckloads of heavy pavers. It was a cake walk compaired to this project.


It's still not finished, but it will do. I want to bring in some accent colors but that will wait until we remodel the downstairs. The brown is going to be the accent color downstairs. I thought it would blend in nicely with the rest of the downstairs (when we get around to tackling that project). I was going to rip up the flooring, but I decided to quit while I was ahead. Wise decision. That room is evil.


I encountered just few obstacles: The room flooded at least 5 times, It took 4 coats of paint (and it still feels tacky), The 4 drawer file cabinet took a tumble off the hand truck (resulting in a nice hole in my newly painted wall), reinstalling the shelving was a complete nightmare (thank you for helping me, Daddy), my car wouldn't start while out getting supplies, and while buying storage baskets I was asked if I was over 55 (I'm sure I looked it at that point) Oh, and throw in a couple of trips to Urgent Care along with a bonus trip to the ER. It's been a real pleasure.


Wanna know the funny part? I told Mike not to expect any surprises when he gets back this year (I honestly had nothing planned). His response was, "good. I hope you relax while I'm gone. Just scrap and play with your camera all week."


Am I stupid or what?

2 Comments:

Blogger Ramona said...

Jill!!!! It looks GREAT!!!!!!! LOVE all the baskets and that brown is so pretty!!!!!! I just wish it went smoother for you!

6:59 AM, August 28, 2007  
Blogger Susan said...

I really love the color Jill!!!
it looks awesome.... I love all the baskets. That rug was a great idea to cover the floor too.
So sorry it was such a chore

6:45 PM, September 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home